Propane: Safe, Reliable and Warm
Propane is one of the most widely used energy sources by American households and lends itself to several uses. Propane heating systems are dependable and safe, but some safety tips can allow you to enjoy propane even more. Knowing these tips can help keep you and your family safe while benefitting from the comforts of propane.
- Make sure you know what propane smells like – an odorant is added to propane to make it smell sulfuric, like rotten eggs. If you notice the smell, leave your home immediately and call us at (800) 486-3146 to report a possible leak.
- Keep all outdoor propane appliances, including heaters, grills, and generators, outside. Do not use them in enclosed areas like a garage or basement.
- Store propane cylinders outdoors.
- Have Parker Oil & Propane make all repairs and modifications to your equipment, valves, and other parts to ensure they run safely.
- Call us if you see soot; propane burns cleanly, and any soot deposits indicate that your equipment is malfunctioning.
- Yellow flame warning! A yellow or flickering flame is another sign that your equipment needs repair. Your propane equipment should burn with a steady blue flame.
What to do if you smell gas?
- Immediately put out all smoking materials or other open flames, and do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones in the house.
- Leave the area immediately. Get everyone out of the building or area of a suspected gas leak.
- Shut off the gas. If you can safely get to the main gas supply line on your propane tank, close the valve by turning it to the right (clockwise).
- Report the leak. Call Parker Oil & Propane to let us know about the issue. If you can’t reach us, call 911 or your local fire department.
- Do not return to the building. Until our technicians or an emergency responder says it’s safe, remain outside of the building or area.
- Get your system checked by Parker before you use any propane equipment.
Keep in mind that propane is utilized by millions of Americans every day, and it is both safe and reliable. These safety tips and information are to help keep you prepared and informed if a situation arises. Parker Oil & Propane is your go-to expert for all things propane. If you have any questions or would like to become a propane delivery customer, contact us by giving us a call at (800) 486-3146.